Is this the year you finally bring home a hot tub? You’ve done your research, learning about the different sizes, models, not to mention the health and social benefits. It sounds like a win-win. That is if you can score a great deal. After all, buying a hot tub is not like buying a blender.
That’s when you see the sign on the highway: “Save up to 50% on Spas! This weekend only!”
Do you take the exit? Or do you apply the brakes? Our experience tells us that if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is. Here’s why…
High-Stakes Sales. Little Time to Decide.
When you here catchy lines like “This weekend only,” that, generally, means that the salespeople are in town for a hot minute to sell spas, and when the sale is over, they’re out of there faster than you can say “Hot Tub Highway.” They pressure you to buy, make promises they have no intention of delivering on, and often have a zero refund policy in the fine print. So many customers have left bad reviews for these guys, trying to stop other customers from being taken advantage of.
A local hot tub dealer like Colorado Custom Spas, on the other hand, is a premanent, expert fixture in the community. That means that you don’t have to make a purchase decision in one day because we’ll be around tomorrow. Next week. Next month. Next year. We appreciate that this is a significant purchase that requires time to consider.
Little to Zero After-Sales Customer Service & Support
What happens when you have questions about water chemistry? What happens when you need warranty work on a part? Does the spa, possibly a brand you’ve never heard of, from the Hot Tub Expo even come with a warranty – and if so, who can perform that service? Local hot tub dealers specialize in their brands and almost always only service and repair those brands. You may not even be able to find a local dealer to service a hot tub you pick up at the Spa Expo.
The guys at the Expo tell you they do have local service. The reality is that they subcontract out the service to the lowest bidder of local independent repair guys. There are several big problems with this:
- You aren’t the independent tech’s direct customer, so your repair isn’t a high priority for them.
- Independent repair shops don’t stock parts for your spa (At Colorado Custom Spas, we keep most parts in stock). When you buy your spa through the Expo, you’re going to have to do some of the leg work yourself. First, you’ll have to call the manufacturer (usually between the hours of 9-5, Monday through Friday VS our 7 days a week). The person you get at the factory is usually a receptionist; They’ll get you over to the warranty department. Then the warranty department has to reach out to the local tech. Only after that will the local tech get you on their schedule to come out and diagnose the problem. After diagnosing, the part must be ordered from the factory and shipped out. Once you receive the part, you’ll have to call the local technician to get back on their schedule for them to finally repair your hot tub.
By contrast, here’s how it works for Colorado Custom Spas customers.
You call 303-HOT-TUBS when you notice the problem – any day of the week. The person who answers knows you you are, what hot tub you purchased, and is knowledgeable about your spa. If you prefer, feel free to call the salesperson who sold you your spa directly (he’s NOT in another town this week!).
At Colorado Custom Spas, we care about you because you are our direct customer. You can come in, face to face, 7 days per week. You can speak with the owner of the company, our general manager who has been here over a decade, the person who sold you your spa, or any other of our team members – all of whom care about your problem and want to get it fixed ASAP.
We stock the majority of parts for everything we sell. So, when we diagnose the problem, we almost have the part available to quickly repair your spa. There are many times that we’ve seen problems arise that were the fault of the electrician, yet we were out there the same day to diagnose and address that problem. Multiple times, our service manager has worked his day off to fix a hot tub rather than have the customer wait through the weekend. You will never get that kind of service from a road show.
Set Up & Delivery
Installing a hot tub or swim spa isn’t like installing a sandbox. Most require some specialized setup. For example, most full-size hot tubs require special electrical wiring. You can’t just plug it into a typical household 110 outlet and hope for the best. Let’s also remember that once your hot tubs is filled, you’re looking at upwards of a 5,000-pound load. This requires a properly poured concrete pad or a correctly reinforced deck. If you buy your hot tub from the Hot Tub Expo, you’re going to be on your own when it comes to figuring out your site prep, installation, and set up.
On the other hand, when you buy a hot tub from Colorado Custom Spas, we walk you through every step! We can recommend a reputable local contractor to pour your concrete pad or reinforce your deck, and then we’ll be there to handle installation. At Colorado Custom Spas, we also specialize in in-ground and partially in-ground installations, a beautiful way to incorporate your spa into your yard!
The Reality of Buying from a Hot Tub Show or Expo
What to expect with those “blowout savings”
- High-pressure sales. You won’t have ample time to browse and plan because once th weekend is over, the expo will be back on the road ready to pull the same tactics in another location.
- Inaccurate claims on savings. With these evnts, the markup on high-quality hot tubs isn’t enough to slash 50% off the price and make a profit. At Colorado Custom Spas, we have great quality spas that are honestly priced, PLUS all of the service and support you deserve after the sale. Plus, we carry a great selection of high-end spas that are much better quality than anything you’ll find at the expo.
- No installation and maintenance support. They, quite literally, dump a very heavy, large, expensive hot tub or swim spa in your front yard. You, immediately, become responsible for installation which includes preparing the foundation, setting it in place (hopefully, you have a crane in your basement), electrical work, filling it with water, and managing water care on your own.
What to expect from Colorado Custom Spas
- Great Prices! You’ll often find the same price — or better — on our spas.
- Customer service & honoring your warranty. Colorado Custom Spas is a registered dealer, and as such, we can back up any of our warranties and promises, as well as the manufacturer’s. We’re here indefinitely which means you can call on us whenever you have questions. We’re here when you’re ready to test your water quality. And we’re here if you need warranty work or a new part down the road. Our phone rings all day with customers calling to ask about programming, water chemistry, filtration, etc. We’re happy to give them free, friendly advice anytime.. You just don’t have that support from a road show.
- Guidance through the entire delivery and installation process. We don’t dump your hot tub at your front door and disappear. We work with you until your foundation, electrical, and other set up requirements are met. Then, we coordinate a professional delivery and installation that doesn’t involve you and six of your best friends.
- No high pressure sales. Take your time! Come in and see what we have. Ask us questions about sizes, shapes, jet counts (and why the amount of jets really doesn’t matter anyway), cabinet colors and styles, interior colors and styles. The most important thing is that you’re equipped with the information you want to know before signing on the dotted line. AND, we’ll invite you to take a test soak.
- Get the financing you need. We offer multiple financing options to help meet your needs. Our financing partners offer fast decisions and low monthly payments enabling almost any homeowner to get the hot tub or swim spa they want, when they want it. We do all we can to make sure you get the support and customer care you deserve, and payments you can afford.
- Great quality, American-made spas. At Colorado Custom Spas, we proudly carry the best names in the hot tub industry, all of which are made in the USA.
Visit us to take a closer look at our variety of spas and compare models and options. We’ll gladly answer any of your questions – with no pressure to buy immediately or blow your budget.